- Book Review: Jesus’ Crucifixion Beatings and the Book of Proverbs, by David Wenkel -- "One of the best contributions Wenkel offers to biblical studies is that he provides a satisfactory explanation for why Jesus needed to be whipped before his death."
- Book Review: It Takes a Church to Baptize: What the Bible Says about Infant Baptism -- "It Takes a Church to Baptize is a helpful book for those wanting to learn about the Anglican understanding of baptism...however, the book ultimately errs in its theology of baptism."
- Book Review: No Quick Fix, by Andy Naselli -- "As I read this section, I found myself stunned by the innumerable ways this teaching had negatively impacted my own spiritual development—as well as many evangelicals around me."
- Book Review: “Unanswered Prayer” – by G. D. Buss -- "The problem of unanswered prayer is one that has deeply tried God’s people in all ages, especially when they have truly felt blessed with a spirit of prayer."
- Cheap Sex: A Review -- "Regnerus shows that the pill and porn have lowered the “price” of sex, made it more accessible than it ever has been, and therefore put women at a disadvantage in the sexual marketplace."
- It's Not a Birthday Party: A New Old Way of Doing Church -- "Even if Chan gave his daughter the amazing party he described, she would know those friends didn’t come just to be with her; they came for their own benefit."
- Review of the movie, Lizzie: Lizzie Borden Took an Axe… -- "Lizzie is very thin on plot and story and overdone on dark rooms and pondering close ups. This movie needs a lot more than forty whacks."
- The New Aerican Judaism: How Jews Practice Their Religion Today -- "An authority on American Judaism returns with a comprehensive report—descriptive, analytical, predictive—on today’s Jewish religious practices."
- Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to be Noticed -- "Sara bases this book on Jesus’ encounter with Mary of Bethany (Matthew 26:6-13; Mark 14:3-9; John 12:1-8)."
- What Happens When You Read a Christian Book -- "...the Christian books I’ve read...are books that have left an indelible mark—not just on my mind but in my life."
Wednesday, September 26, 2018
Jesus’ Crucifixion Beatings, and other reviews
The posting of reviews does not constitute endorsement of the books, movies or reviews that are linked.