- After the eulogies: Was John McCain one of our ‘better angels’? -- "Although McCain made two failed runs for the White House, he has been celebrated in death far more than any president I can remember. In fact, politicians from both parties have been locked in a competition to see who could give their fallen comrade the most glowing endorsement. I suspect all the eulogizing has said more about the current state of American politics than about McCain."
- C.S. Lewis on the Pleasure of Pleasing People without Being a People Pleaser -- "...since to be famous means to be better known than other people, the desire for fame appears to me as a competitive passion and therefore of hell rather than heaven."
- Do Amish use technology? -- "While practices vary among groups, Amish do in fact use a large measure of modern technology."
- Have We Finally Hit Peak Attractional? -- "Over four weeks this September, Ed Young and Fellowship Church welcome four legendary guests from the world of professional wrestling – Ric Flair, The Undertaker, The Million Dollar Man, and Sting!"
- Knowing in Part -- "Now either the writer or the reader, or what is equally certain, both of them, are imperfect, and consequently differ on some points, while they agree on others. Surely the correct conclusion is, that “We know in part”."
- Ordinations -- "There can be no public recognition without some formality, and if we have rightly read the scriptures, it was an apostolic custom to set brethren apart to the work of the gospel ministry by fasting and prayer, and with the laying on of hands..."
- Qualifications of a Bishop -- "We would rather understand the apostle, that a bishop should not be a man given to an immoderate or unbecoming use of wine; while a little may be used by the bishops, for medical or other purposes; yet, when a bishop shows a decided propensity for wine, cannot feel comfortable without his periodical drains, a development of such a propensity is very much against his usefulness."
- The Case for the Senior Pastor -- "All in all, I don’t think there’s a slam-dunk argument to be made here. I don’t think the Bible requires churches to have a senior pastor, and I don’t think it forbids them from doing so, either."
- What Is a Local Church? -- "It’s the institution which Jesus created and authorized to pronounce the gospel of the kingdom, to affirm gospel professors, to oversee their discipleship, and to expose impostors."
- What is the Amish Ordnung? -- "The Ordnung is the unwritten set of rules and regulations that guide everyday Amish life."
- Why “Justice” is Not the Mission of the Church (In the Most Simple Terms Possible) -- "Distributing justice is the role of the government, according to 1 Peter 2 and Romans 13. Spiritual Israel, the church, has neither the responsibility nor the right to dispense justice."
- 5 Reasons You Should (Probably) Leave Your Attractional Church -- "Nobody should leave any church lightly, and it should never be a Christian’s first impulse or first resort...Nevertheless, there are a few circumstances that might warrant moving one’s fellowship, and that’s what this list is about."
Monday, September 17, 2018
After the eulogies, and other links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.