- A Treatise of Baptism by Henry Danvers, 1674 -- "Amongst all those Ordinances and Institutions of Christ, that the Man of Sin hath so miserably mangled, metamorphosed and changed, none hath been more horribly abused than that of Baptism..."
- An Essay on the Lord's Supper by Jesse Mercer, 1833 -- "The church at Corinth had corrupted herself by the toleration by the toleration of the grocest immoralities, and profaned the supper of the Lord by the admission of the most scandalous and unworthy persons."
- Baptism 2, by Beebe -- "The commission to preach the gospel, not only authorizes the commissioned ministers, but commands them to baptize believers, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."
- Baptism 3, by Beebe -- "To admit to our communion any upon what other denominations call baptism is to remove one of the discriminating institutions of the church and inaugurate what is called “Open Communion”."
- Comments on Feet Washing -- "All parties, so far as we are informed, have agreed that they will not make a difference of our understanding of it, a bar of fellowship, but leave all free to answer the honest conviction of their own minds, in regard to its literal observance."
- Early Customs of the Baptists by J. H. Spencer, 1885 -- "The Washing of Feet was a very common ceremony among the early churches of Kentucky."
- Safeguard the Lord’s Churches by Keeping the Ordinances – Part 1 (Baptism) -- "In baptism the believer pictures the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. To the world it is an outward picture of an inward work of grace."
- Safeguard the Lord’s Churches by Keeping the Ordinances – Part 2 (The Lord’s Supper) -- "If practiced scripturally, [the ordinances] protect from un-regenerate membership, doctrinal error, and the undermining local church authority."
- Sobering Words about Baptism -- "We would caution all that would approach to this sacred evangelical ordinance..."
- The Admission of Unbaptized Persons to the Lord's Supper by Andrew Fuller -- "The question of free communion as maintained by Baptists is very different from that which is ordinarily maintained by Paedobaptists."
- The Scriptural Meaning and Manner of Ordination -- "...Paul attaches importance to laying on of hands by the classification he gives in Heb. vi. 1, 3. He terms it a doctrine, whose foundation needed not to be laid again..."
- Was Judas, who Betrayed Jesus, a Disciple, and Did He Partake of the Lord’s Supper? -- "...there is no reason to believe that Judas was present at the Lord’s supper."
Saturday, September 29, 2018
A Treatise of Baptism, and other ordinance links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.