- A Musician's Perspective on Contemporary Christian Music -- "Popular music forms have been incorporated wholesale into many churches, while traditional, simple psalms and hymns have been sidelined or degraded through modern rearrangements."
- A History Of Gospel Music, From African Rhythms To 'The Brooklyn Sound' -- "One of the distinguishing features between the two [spirituals and gospel] is that most of the spirituals' text are based on the Old Testament."
- A plea for singing hymns in family worship -- "Good hymns work well in family worship because their tunes are often simpler and easier to sing naturally."
- An Analysis of the Ancient Church Fathers on Instrumental Music -- "Werner argues all of the church fathers found vocal music more pleasing to God than instrumental. Price argues that there were no musical instruments in the churches. Squire indicates that instruments were allowed."
- Download the Harp of Ages -- "PDF, 1973 edition"
- Psalm Singing -- "In public worship, God has always been praised with inspired material."
- Remembering Dr. Ronnie Lewis -- "Lewis served for many years as a church pianist and Choir Director for Lee’s Chapel Church in Henagar. He loved convention-style singing and served as the President of the Alabama School of Gospel Music at Snead."
- Sacred Music -- "Perhaps like me, you rarely hear the two words 'sacred music' much anymore."
- Singer/Songwriter Austin French Pays Tribute to Victims of Santa Fe School Shooting with Unreleased Song, “Why God” -- "I wrote this song on my record based on the ‘why God?’ moments we experience as humans."
- The Psalm-Singing Church -- "It would be of enormous benefit to our churches if we would actively seek to reinstitute the practice of Psalm-singing in our congregations."
- The Riches of the Psalms -- "The great value of the Psalm book is that it conducts us into the presence-chamber of the King and brings us before the throne of his glory."
- The Unproven Premise Strikes Again -- "Not only has he not proven that music is a mere preference, the burden of proof clearly lies with him since the vast majority of history has insisted that music is not a mere preference."
Monday, June 04, 2018
A Musician's Perspective, and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.