Translate

Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Head Cornerstone

This hymn is about the stone which the builders rejected (Cf. Psalm 118:22, Matthew 21:42). The text of “That Stone Is Made Head Corner Stone” is taken from Scottish Psalter and Paraphrases. It is based on Psalm 118:22-29 and set in Common Meter and has been set with such tunes as Wilson and Jackson.

22 That stone is made head corner-stone,
which builders did despise:
23 This is the doing of the Lord,
and wondrous in our eyes.

24 This is the day God made, in it
we’ll joy triumphantly.
25 Save now, I pray thee, Lord; I pray,
send now prosperity.

26 Blessed is he in God’s great name
that cometh us to save:
We, from the house which to the Lord
pertains, you blessed have.

27 God is the Lord, who unto us
hath made light to arise:
Bind ye unto the altar’s horns
with cords the sacrifice.

28 Thou art my God, I’ll thee exalt;
my God, I will thee praise.
29 Give thanks to God, for he is good:
his mercy lasts always.

No comments: