- Aretha Franklin, ‘Queen of Soul’ who transformed American music, dies at 76 -- "Aretha Franklin, whose impassioned, riveting voice made her a titan of American music, died of pancreatic cancer on Thursday, her niece Sabrina Owens confirmed. She was 76."
- Aretha Franklin - "The Day Is Past And Gone" -- "A young Aretha Franklin from 1956 with "The Day Is Past And Gone", sung at New Bethel Baptist Church in Detroit."
- John Piper Changed ‘Great Is Thy Faithfulness.’ Experts Weigh In -- "Should hymns keep the theological orientation of their authors?"
- Polly Lewis Williamson Copsey Passes Away -- "Her Gospel music career spanned 58 years with her family, The Lewis Family, known as America’s First Family of Bluegrass Gospel Music."
- Sing to the Lord a New Song -- "God’s people have also recognized that since music can be abused, we must always look to Scripture to guide us in understanding why we sing in worship and what this singing should be like."
- The Chattahoochee Convention, August 1, 1880: Memorial for Benjamin Franklin White -- "Maj. B. F. White, although not strictly a member of this convention, was virtually connected with all societies adopting the Sacred Harp as a text book—a book of which he was the honored and worthy author."
- The Legacy of Reverend Cleavant Derricks -- "Though an African American, Rev. Derricks distinguished himself as a songwriter most notably in the singing conventions of the white churches throughout the American South."
- The South Carolina Gospel Music Association Inducts The LifeFM Founder Bob McClure -- "The LifeFM Radio Network, headquartered in Greenville, SC, is pleased to announce that its founder, Bob McClure, 92, was recently inducted into the South Carolina Gospel Music Association."
Tuesday, August 21, 2018
The Day Is Past And Gone, and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.