Grace and Providence (Long Meter) by William Cowper, Hymn 81 in Olney Hymns
1. Almighty King! whose wondrous hand,
Supports the weight of sea and land;
Whose grace is such a boundless store,
No heart shall break that sighs for more.
2. Thy Providence supplies my food,
And ’tis thy blessing makes it good;
My soul is nourished by thy word,
Let soul and body praise the Lord.
3. My streams of outward comfort came
From him, who built this earthly frame;
Whate’er I want his bounty gives,
By whom my soul for ever lives.
4. Either his hand preserves from pain,
Or, if I feel it, heals again;
From Satan’s malice shields my breast,
Or overrules it for the best.
5. Forgive the song that falls so low
Beneath the gratitude I owe!
It means thy praise, however poor,
An angel’s song can do no more.
Oliver Holden used the last stanza for his tune Cowper, page 168 in The Sacred Harp.