- A Sacred Harp primer with Matt Hinton -- "The experience of singing is an end in itself."
- Accent & Emphasis in Sacred Harp singing -- "The rudiments from the 1860 edition of The Sacred Harp say that “accent is a stress of voice or emphasis on one part of a sentence, strain, or measure, more than another”, while the 2012 Cooper edition simply says, “accent is a stress of voice or emphasis”."
- “Classical Music is Racist,” Says Critical Race Theorist -- "Western classical music participates in the act of destroying culture and replaces it with its own white supremacist narrative..."
- Don’t just tinker -- "Tinkering to render language inclusive or modern is now commonplace. Many who tinker, however, are oblivious to rhythms in the language and make their alterations in ways that are jarring, often distracting from the point they wish to make."
- Germany: Girl loses gender bias case against boys choir -- "The choir's right to artistic freedom is decisive, a Berlin court has ruled after the parents of a 9-year-old girl sued when she was rejected by the prestigious State and Cathedral Choir."
- I’d been too scared to sing since childhood – could I find my voice? -- "Nearly forty years after being told she was making a racket, Paula Cocozza decided it was time to confront the sound of silence..."
- Mountain Tradition: Shape Note Singing -- "The greatest defining characteristic of going to church in the mountains of Appalachia, however, is “sing’n”..."
Friday, September 20, 2019
A Sacred Harp primer, and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.