Isaac Watts, We are Come unto Mount Zion, Common Meter
1. Not to the terrors of the Lord,
The tempest, fire, and smoke:
Not to the thunder of that word
Which God on Sinai spoke:
2. But we are come to Sion’s hill,
The city of our God;
Where milder words declare His will,
And spread His love abroad.
3. Behold th’ innumerable host
Of angels clothed in light:
Behold the spirits of the just,
Whose faith is turned to sight.
4. Behold the blest assembly there
Whose names are writ in heaven;
Hear God, the Judge of all, declare
Their sins, through Christ, forgiven.
5. The saints on earth, and all the dead
But one communion make:
All join in Christ, their living Head,
And of His grace partake.
6. In such society as this
Our weary souls would rest;
The man who dwells where Jesus is,
Must be forever blest.