- A Sound Memory -- "An antique upright piano, a cherished donation to an 1870s country church in Coryell County, inched across the scarred oak floor."
- Exploring Sacred Music in the South -- "Shape-note singing harks back to an early American tradition where musical notation was recorded in the form of shapes as a way of memorizing tones, which allowed people without musical training to be able to both sight-read music and sing in harmony."
- Hymns for a Lifetime: Poetry added to music makes not only hymns, but memories -- "Which can you more likely recite over Sunday lunch after worship: a point from the sermon or a refrain from a hymn?"
- Let Everybody Sing -- "Deep in the antebellum bowels of Southern history, there emerged a style of gospel music called the Sacred Harp."
- Psalm 130 in the Hands of the Great Composers -- "For those who might be interested in exploring some of the settings of Psalm 130 in the sacred classical music tradition, I put together this Spotify playlist..."
- Singing in the Worship Service of the New Testament Church -- "Someone might ask why the New Testament is silent on music in the worship service. Actually, it is not silent regarding music."
- Should western music be transplanted to missions church plants? -- "Culture is a visible expression of worldview. It is religion externalized."
- The Reformation Brings New Approach to Sacred Music -- "By the late Middle Ages, Dawson said, the performance of sacred music was relegated mainly to professionals who could understand its polyphonic structure."
- The Southwest Texas Convention -- "Thankfully, the singing in McMahan (just up the road from Lockhart) is as good as the BBQ (maybe better)."
- When Gospel Music Sparked a ‘Worship War’ -- "As the Great Migration drew thousands of African Americans to the North, many new residents had little interest in the music of these congregations."
Saturday, December 15, 2018
A Sound Memory, and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.