Translate

Saturday, December 08, 2018

Baby It’s Cold Outside

Our local news Tuesday morning reported on a song that had run afoul of the #MeToo movement – “Baby It’s Cold Outside.” This isn’t a song I am familiar with, so I had to look it up. Here’s a couple of links on the brouhaha.
The song was written by popular Broadway composer Frank Loesser, who originally performed it as a humorous number with his wife. But the lyrics, in today’s context, have taken on somewhat more sinister connotations.

Now, I do realize that when the song was written in 1944, it was a different time, but now while reading it, it seems very manipulative and wrong. The world we live in is extra sensitive now, and people get easily offended, but in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve, the song has no place.

I won’t lose any sleep over the absence of this song. It doesn’t fit my Christian viewpoint. Nevertheless, I wonder why it in particular got picked on? The various musical media is full of vile and vulgar songs that are available for regular consumption. This one seems “sinister-lite” in comparison.

No comments: