- Another Level of Meaning for Those Asking What Rap Means -- "Folk culture has the capacity to limit extremes, since it is the expression of the values and aspirations of a community. Popular culture, on the other hand, presupposes the absence of a community of belief or conviction."
- Bound Together: What Makes an Effective Pairing of Text and Tune -- "Instead of painting the emotions in the text, I have found that a Sacred Harp tune more often uses melodic shape, rhythm, and even harmony to accentuate important words in the poetry."
- Example Video of a Gospel-Shaped Service -- "When I teach or write on this subject, I regularly receive questions regarding specifics of what a service like this looks like."
- Explanation of my comments about Reformed rap on the NCFIC panel -- "I’m not on a vendetta against rap to the exclusion of other forms of music. In fact, I equally condemn for use in expressing God’s truth some forms of music from within my own background and sub-culture."
- Pop Music and Twinkies -- "May conservative Christians pause long enough in our denunciations of pop music to wonder out loud what our biggest problem with it is?"
- Proving the Music Issue in the Worship War: Is there Holy Hip Hop? -- "Should we argue about music? Are there any authoritative arguments against rap music for worship? Is rap music actually permissible and appropriate for worshiping God?"
- Shape-Note Singing in Mississippi: A Preliminary History -- "As African American literacy increased, black singers established their own singing schools and conventions."
- Southern Gospel Music Hall of Fame announces Class of 2018 Inductees -- "The Southern Gospel Music Association (SGMA) is pleased to announce the Class of 2018 SGMA Hall of Fame Inductees: Norman Wilson, Tracy Stuffle, Mark Trammell, and Ann Downing."
- The Hollow Square and the Intriguing World of Sacred Harp Singing -- "The world is full of undiscovered treasure."
- The Zwinglian Option (A certain way to end the worship wars) -- "Think about it. Take away the music and we have little left to fight about."
- What Rap Means -- "Without denying that music bears culturally conventional meaning, musical forms nonetheless carry meaning apart from their cultural situation."
Tuesday, July 10, 2018
Another Level of Meaning, and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.