- A Review Essay of A Theology for the Church -- "Dever...makes a great contribution in the discussion of plurality of elders and of special interest is his scriptural discussion of the office of senior pastor."
- Baptist Piety: The Last Will and Testament of Obadiah Holmes, review by J. L. Garrett Jr -- "Deftly Gaustad traces Holmes’s life..."
- Book Notice: “Elders in the Life of the Church” -- "The book, and the argument, unfolds in three parts...“Is it Baptist? . . . Is it biblical? . . . Is it best?”
- Book Review – 9 Marks of a Healthy Church -- "Truth be told, I was a little disappointed with 9 Marks of a Healthy Church. The problem is not that it is a poor book but more that I had unrealistic expectations of it."
- Book Review — Biblical Leadership: Theology for the Everyday Leader, edited by Benjamin Forrest and Chet Roden -- "Second, some will question if this project properly approaches the discipline of biblical theology. Debate abounds regarding the definition and application of biblical theology, and some will see this book as a step in the wrong direction."
- Book Review: God’s Amazing Grace: Reconciling Four Centuries of African American Marriages & Families by Pastor Terry Turner -- "The content of his message is relatable to the needs of the African American Community concerning the issues we face today."
- Book Review: The Essential Jonathan Edwards, by Owen Strachan and Douglas A. Sweeney -- "The Essential Jonathan Edwards is a must-have for every Christian who wants to learn from a luminary like Edwards."
- Book Review: The Gospel Comes with a House Key, by Rosaria Butterfield -- "Raw. Unvarnished. Personal. Real. These are some of the words which scrolled through my head as I put down Butterfield’s book."
- Book Review: Unoffendable by Brant Hansen -- "...the topic of Unoffendable is one that is both hard to talk about but desperately needed: letting go of anger."
- Elders in the Life of the Church -- "The church is a reflection of God’s Son. That’s why leadership of the church is of utmost importance." (Preview/Excerpts)
- REVIEW, Doing Good Is Simple: Making a Difference Right Where You Are -- "All are clear and concise, and provide encouragement to act."
Friday, July 20, 2018
A Review Essay of A Theology for the Church, and other book reviews
The posting of book reviews does not constitute endorsement of the books or book reviews that are linked.