1. Upon a world of guilt and night
The Morning-Star arose.
Enough! mine eyes have seen its light:
Now welcome death's repose."
2. Prophetic joy those words inspired,
When, in the Virgin's Son,
Simeon beheld the long-desired,
And bless'd God's Holy One.
3. “Now lettest Thou Thy servant, Lord!
In peace his soul resign.
These eyes, according to Thy word,
See Judah's Day-Star shine.
4. "The Light of Life, whose healing ray
Shall sin's deep shades dispel;
To Gentile lands salvation's day;
Thy glory, Israel!"
5. Faith still beholds her risen Lord,
Though hid from mortal sight.
Shine forth, O Saviour! in Thy word,
And fill the world with light.
-- from The Choir and the Oratory; Or Praise and Prayer, by Josiah Conder, London: Jackson and Walford, 1837