- An Introduction to the Baptists by Erroll Hulse -- "The book provides a useful Introduction to the Baptists...But a similar work for the 21st Century is badly needed, one that brings things right-up-to date in terms of historical developments..."
- Best Books for Pastors in 2018 -- "We asked pastors from around the world a simple question: what books did you read in 2018 that helped you be a better pastor?"
- Book Review: Seven Practices for the Church on Mission, by David Fitch -- "Fitch’s emphasis on the presence of God as part of our conception of the nature of the church and a philosophy of ministry does have some benefit. But his development of these ideas lacks Scriptural substance."
- Book Review | The Hebrew Bible: A Translation with Commentary, 3 vols. by Robert Alter -- "What had been thought to be impossible—a complete modern Bible translation with expert commentary, not by committee, but by a single individual—is indeed possible."
- John Owen and English Puritanism by Crawford Gribben -- "Owen is a difficult man to read. While the details of his public career are known, his inner thoughts are hard to fathom."
- Kirkus Review - Merchants of Truth: The Business of News and the Fight for Facts -- "A highly readable combination of significant topic, deep reporting, endlessly fascinating anecdotes, and vivid writing."
- Life Application Study Bible Review -- "As I became familiar with what the LASB actually says instead of staying locked into first impressions, I discovered a spiritual depth rarely found in study editions of the Bible."
- Review: Ember Rising by S. D. Smith -- "Loved it. So did the kids. (And the illustrations, by my respected friend Zach Franzen, were also excellent.)"
- ‘Scandalous’ preview: World hears videotaped depositions -- "‘Scandalous’ is a historical documentary-style series that chronicles the sequence of events that enveloped Washington and ultimately led to the impeachment of President Bill Clinton during the 1990’s."
Wednesday, January 09, 2019
An Introduction to the Baptists, and other reviews
The posting of book or film reviews does not constitute endorsement of the books or book reviews that are linked.