Translate

Friday, January 25, 2019

The urge, and other quotes

The posting of quotes by human authors does not constitute agreement with either the quotes or their sources. (I try to confirm the sources that I give, but may miss on occasion; please verify when possible.)

"The urge to comprehend must precede the urge to reform." - Aldo Leopold

"Men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificant, until they have contrasted themselves with the majesty of God." -- John Calvin

"The things that befall you, as worked out, take them as good, knowing that without God nothing becomes." -- The Didache, 3:14 (translated by J. Louis Guthrie)

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Lord, you are the potter and I am the clay; but I do have a few suggestions." -- Kevin Leman (spoken in humor, it seems)

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born." -- Ronald Reagan

"I do not believe the promises of the Declaration of Independence are just for the strong, the independent, the healthy. They are for everyone—including unborn children." – George W. Bush

"We are in danger of being stern where God is tender, and tender where God is stern." -- Oswald Chambers

"Saying that one has natural power to say yes or no to grace is to say that those who say yes do so because they are inherently better than those who say no." -- Aaron at Baptist Board

"Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that you are stupid and made bad decisions." -- Seen on that great theological resource, Facebook

No comments: