- A Case for Traditional Music, Part 1 -- "The battle is not over whether we ought to have emotion in our worship, nor is it whether we should have a lot of emotion or a little. The question is over the kind of emotion that best accords with the truth that we confess and celebrate."
- A Case for Traditional Music, Part 2 -- "At this point someone will certainly raise the objection that judging music is terribly subjective."
- Life of Knowles Shaw, The Singing Evangelist -- "...he produced several hymns, for which he became known as “the singing evangelist.” Perhaps, his most famous is “Bringing In The Sheaves,” published in 1874."
- Online Books by J. H. Ruebush -- "The chorus and choir : a superior collection of standard choruses, part-songs and anthems suitable for colleges, normals, choirs, choral societies, musical conventions, singing schools, etc., etc."
- Seven shapes or four notes? If you have an opinion, then you’ll want to know ‘The Musical Million’ 1879-97 is now online -- "The Musical Million spread the Gospel of congregational shape-note singing far and wide and laid the groundwork for the proliferation of singing schools across the South."
- Study: Memories of music cannot be lost to Alzheimer's and dementia -- "The part of your brain responsible for ASMR catalogs music, and appears to be a stronghold against Alzheimer's and dementia."
- Sweet the Moments, Rich in Blessing -- "The original text was written by James Allen, who was born on June 24, 1734, at Gayle, near Wensleydale in Yorkshire, England."
- Tangled Up in ‘Fandangle’ -- "Performed annually on the last two weekends in June, Fort Griffin Fandangle is the oldest outdoor musical in the state."
- The Christian Minstrel: Preface (J.B. Aikin, 1846) -- "But this work differs from all others in the use of seven figured notes, each of a peculiar shape."
- The Much-Requested Timeline Song -- "I keep getting emails requesting our timeline song, which I promised awhile back that I would post...I teach my children a literal, six-day creation. This worldview influences the timeline of history because interpreting history and archaeology using biblical presuppositions rather than secular presuppositions affects the dates for various ancient empires..."
- Why music should be central in your homeschool -- "I am going to try to convince you that every child — every person — should have music in his or her life."
- 6 Hymns That Have Been Teaching You Bad Theology -- "We don’t sing corporately because it was our idea. We sing because it was God’s idea for His people."
Thursday, January 17, 2019
A Case for Traditional Music, and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.