Translate

Sunday, January 06, 2019

Jesus, Master, whose I am

Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879) wrote this hymn in December, 1865, for her nephew, J. H. Shaw. It was first printed in J. & R. Parlane’s leaflets, then later published in two of her books, The Ministry of Song (1869, pp. 42-43) and Life Mosaic (1879, pp. 24-25). It is written in 7s. meter, with 6 lines per stanza. The hymn appears often with the tunes Graceham and Wells.

1. Jesus, Master, whose I am,
Purchased Thine alone to be,
By Thy blood, O spotless Lamb,
Shed so willingly for me;
Let my heart be all Thine own,
Let me live for Thee alone.

2. Other lords have long held sway;
Now, Thy name alone to bear;
Thy dear voice alone obey,
Is my daily, hourly prayer.
Whom have I in heaven but Thee?
Nothing else my joy can be.

3. Jesus, Master, I am Thine!
Keep me faithful, keep me near;
Let Thy presence in me shine
All my homeward way to cheer,
Jesus! at Thy feet I fall,
Oh, be Thou my All-in-all.

4. Jesus, Master, whom I serve,
Though so feebly and so ill,
Strengthen hand and heart and nerve,
All Thy bidding to fulfill;
Open Thou mine eyes to see
All the work Thou hast for me.

5. Lord, Thou needest not, I know,
Service such as I can bring,
Yet I long to prove and show
Full allegiance to my king.
Thou an honour[i] art to me;
Let me be a praise to Thee.

6. Jesus, Master, wilt Thou use
One who owes Thee more than all?
As Thou wilt! I would not choose,
Only let me hear Thy call.
Jesus! let me always be
In Thy service glad and free.


[i] In stanza 5, line 5 (in Life Mosaic), the word “honour” carries this note – “See marginal reading of 1 Peter ii. 7.” Also the first 3 stanzas are on page 24 under the heading “Whose I Am,” while the last three stanzas are on page 25 under the heading “Whom I Serve.” The hymn is labeled in the same manner on pages 42 and 43 of The Ministry of Song.

No comments: