Translate

Sunday, October 07, 2018

Sweet is the cross of Jesus

The Cross, written by Frederick Whitfield, is found on page 41 of Sacred Poems and Prose.

1. I saw the cross of Jesus
When burdened with my sin;
I sought the cross of Jesus
To give me peace within;
I brought my soul to Jesus,
He cleansed it in His blood;
And in the cross of Jesus
I found my peace with God.

2. I love the cross of Jesus,
It tells me what I am;
A vile and guilty creature,
Saved only through the Lamb;
No righteousness, nor merit,[i]
Nor beauty I can plead,
Yet in the cross of glory,
My title there I read.

3. I clasp the cross of Jesus
In every trying hour;
My sure and certain refuge,
My never-failing tower:
In every fear and conflict,
I more than conqueror am;
Living I’m safe, or dying,[ii]
Through Christ the risen Lamb.

4. Near to the cross of Jesus,[iii]
There let my weary heart
Still rest in peace unshaken,[iv]
Till life itself depart;
And then in strains of glory
I’ll sing His wondrous power,
Where sin can never enter,
And death is known no more.


[i] Originally, “No righteous merit there.” I have left several lines with adaptations because they apparently were made to keep the meter consistent.
[ii] Originally, “For life is mine, and death is mine.”
[iii] Many modern printings have “Sweet is the cross of Jesus.”
[iv] Originally, “Still rest in perfect peace.”

No comments: