- A Critique of God’s Word in Our Hands: The Bible Preserved for Us -- "God’s Word in Our Hands (GWOH) is “deja vu all over again.”"
- Book Review: The Mentoring Church, by Phil Newton -- "This work is well-researched, extensively footnoted, and comes with an appendix of about 90 books divided into 11 areas of pastoral ministry."
- Charity…rejoiceth in the Truth: A Critique of Schnaiter and Tagliapietra’s Bible Preservation and the Providence of God -- "The Lord taught that the Scripture He used was the preserved Hebrew OT (“is written” gegraptai) which had jots and tittles and the three-fold Tenak division (Torah, Nabiim, Kethubim) starting with Genesis and ending with II Chronicles (Mt. 4:4; 5:18; Lk. 24:44; Jn. 11:50-51, respectively)."
- Book Review: Lies Pastors Believe, by Dayton Hartman -- "When we fail to ground our identity in gospel truth, we craft an identity for ourselves and ground it in the unstable sands of our accomplishments."
- Katharina, Katharina, by Christine Farenhorst. Reviewed by Helen Tangelder -- "Katharina is very timely written as the story of Katharina Schutz which took place in the 1490’s in Strasbourg, Germany...Recommended reading."
- Reflections of a Disenchanted Calvinist: The Disquieting Realities of Calvinism -- "by Ronnie W. Rogers (Google Book preview)"
- Responding to a Disenchanted Calvinist – Part One -- "The way I’ve chosen to do this is by taking each of his chapters and drawing out the main arguments, then responding to them."
- Review: Reflections of a Disenchanted Calvinist: The Disquieting Realities of Calvinism by Ronnie W. Rogers -- "Readers who embrace “moderate” or “high” Calvinism will benefit from the particular examples in which certain theological claims within their system seem to be internally inconsistent."
- Review: The Lost Sermons of C. H. Spurgeon, Volume II -- "I was immediately impressed by the aesthetic beauty of the book in my hands."
- Review: Winning Souls and Getting Them Down the Aisle -- "Dr. Curtis Hutson’s primary purpose in this booklet Winning Souls and Getting Them Down the Aisle was to emphasize the importance of soul winning and his subsequent emphasis on getting converts to walk down the aisle...For Dr. Hutson to equate walking down an aisle as a request of Christ is misleading and places upon the convert a compulsion that is not found in the Scriptures."
- The Church Fathers as Spiritual Mentors by Michael A.G. Haykin -- "Historian Michael Haykin examines the lives of such church fathers as Irenaeus of Lyons, Cyprian of Carthage, Basil of Caesarea, Gregory of Nyssa, Macarius and Augustine, as he uncovers the theological debates, councils, creeds and preaching of the ancient church (A.D. 100—600)."
- William Kiffen and his World -- "These are research-oriented academic volumes that not only set an excellent example of historiography, but also tell interesting and important stories."
Friday, March 30, 2018
A Critique of God’s Word in Our Hands, and other reviews
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.