Translate

Monday, May 23, 2016

Understanding John 21:15-17, Part 2

John 21:15-17, King James Version
15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest (ἀγαπᾷς) thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love (φιλῶ) thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. 16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest (ἀγαπᾷς) thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love (φιλῶ) thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. 17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest (φιλεῖς) thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest (Φιλεῖς) thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love (φιλῶ) thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

John 21:15-17, New International Version
When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love (ἀγαπᾷς) me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love (φιλῶ) you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love (ἀγαπᾷς) me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love (φιλῶ) you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love (φιλεῖς) me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love (φιλεῖς) me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love (φιλῶ) you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.”

John 21:15-17, Greek Nugget Version [1]
So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, agapao thou me more than these? He saith unto him, No, Lord; but thou knowest that I phileo thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, but Simon, son of Jonas, agapao thou me? He saith unto him, No, Lord; thou knowest that I phileo thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. Jesus changeth and saith unto him differently this time, Simon, son of Jonas, phileo thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him twice agapao thou me and once, phileo thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I phileo thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

John 21:15-17, Greek Nugget Version # 2
So when they had dined, Jesus said to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, do you have God’s love for me more than these? He said unto him, No, Lord; but you know that I am really fond of you. He said unto him, Feed my lambs. He said to him again the second time, but Simon, son of Jonas, do you have God’s love for me? He said unto him, No, Lord; you know that I am fond of you, though. He said unto him, Feed my sheep. Jesus changed his meaning and said unto him differently this time, Simon, son of Jonas, are you fond of me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him twice ‘do you have God’s love for me’ and once, ‘are you fond of me’? And he said unto him, Lord, you know all things; you know that I am fond of you (but I don’t have God’s special kind of love for you). Jesus said unto him, Feed my sheep.

Above are four “versions” of the translation of John 21:15-17. The first two have the corresponding Greek word for love (agapao/ἀγαπάω, phileo/φιλέω) placed beside the English word “love”. The third and fourth, contrived versions, inserts (1) the English transliteration of the Greek word in place of the English word “love” and (2) the English “special meaning” of the words. With a few adjustments these illustrate the problem of transferring two different “special” meanings of love into the context. You don’t have to know Greek to understand what Jesus said to Peter. Just apply some common sense. The “Greek Nugget Version” is NOT how the conversation went!

[1] Idea from the title Greek Nuggets or Fool’s Gold? by Herb Evans

Understanding John 21:15-17, Part 1

No comments: