- Are Our Hymns Too Warlike? -- "...the warfare imagery is derived not from our hymnbooks but from our Bibles."
- Classic A Cappella Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs -- "Free MP3s of the Greenville Church of South Carolina singing classic a cappella hymns, professionally recorded..."
- Edward R Hale -- "The LORD would give him the tune first, then the words."
- Lister Cleavant Derricks -- "He seemed to be pleased enough that his music had found a wide acceptance as payment enough."
- Poetry in the notes -- "These songs tell stories and they have deep meanings."
- It’s time to re-write pro-war hymns -- "Brian McLaren...has rewritten Onward, Christian Soldiers, which he said reflects a disturbing pro-war theology."
- The Verses Project -- "These songs are taken word for word from the ESV Bible translation and set to music to help you memorize and meditate on scripture in a new way."
- What a Friend We Have in Jesus -- "The hymn was penned in 1857 by Joseph Scriven, of Canada, for his widowed mother, Jane Medlicott Scriven of Ireland (she was 70 at the time)."
Saturday, April 23, 2016
Too Warlike? and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.