Translate

Monday, April 04, 2016

Theological Liberalism

Sometimes in my posts I reference liberalism, so I think I explanation of what I mean will be helpful. When I speak of theological liberalism in reference to Christian beliefs, it is in contrast to the Fundamentals of the Faith held by conservative Christians.

Liberalism is not unified theological system or unified set of beliefs. It is more of an approach to the understanding the Bible through the lens of science and humanism. Nevertheless, there are some common themes that can be found among theological liberals. They do not affirm the necessity of a supernatural creation by God, deny the inspiration and inerrancy of the Scriptures, and reject the exclusivity of salvation through Jesus Christ. The often repudiate several or all of the following:

  • the historicity of the book of Genesis (and much of the rest of the Old Testament)
  • the miraculous accuracy of predictive prophecy
  • the virgin birth of Jesus Christ
  • the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ
  • the authority of the Bible in matters of faith and practice
  • the literal/bodily return/second coming of Jesus Christ

No comments: