- A major publisher may withdraw all its books from Amazon -- "If HarperCollins and Amazon don't come to an agreement, no print or digital HarperCollins books will be available on Amazon once its existing contract runs out..."
- America: Where We Deliberately Allow Freedoms to Be Abused -- "The Indiana RFRA is written to try to return strict-scrutiny protection to all Americans in their free exercise of their religious faith."
- Freedom of Religion and the Indiana Law: On the verge of Government Run Faith -- "If those whose tolerance is a one-way street would speak in plain honest language, what they would says is, 'You are not allowed to believe what you believe, and you are not allowed to behave according to that belief.'"
- Indiana’s RFRA—and the Response—Is All About the Signaling -- "What the law actually says is mostly irrelevant in our cultural climate."
- Indiana didn’t actually pass an anti-gay bill -- "The outcry is so violent that one law professor declined to talk on the record. He had already offered a legal opinion about the law in public — and he, and his family, had been swamped by hate mail and personal abuse a result." the law simply says the state can’t force you to do something that’s against your religion unless it has a very good reason to do so — the “compelling interest” rule.
- Lifeway Pulls Heaven Tourism For Good…Still No Acknowledgement of Alex Malarkey -- " LifeWay Christian Resources has stopped selling all “experiential testimonies about heaven”..."
- Meet 10 Americans Helped By Religious Freedom Bills Like Indiana’s -- "...on March 10, the federal government returned the eagle feathers it had seized nine years prior from a Native American religious leader and famed feather dancer Robert Soto."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson Defends Scientology—and the Bush Administration’s Science Record -- "The Daily Beast caught up with Neil deGrasse Tyson for a wide-ranging discussion on everything from the tenets of Scientology to the ongoing policy battle between science and religion."
- Psychologists found the personality traits that make people fat -- "...according to a new Swiss study cited by New York Magazine, your eating habits are unknowingly guided by your personality traits."
- Shocking sonogram shows how smoking affects unborn babies -- "Durham University, Lancaster University and Dr. Nadja Reissland conducted a study on smoking and pregnancy by following 20 mothers...The mothers participated in regular ultrasound scans during their pregnancies to note fetal movement and other factors."
- Texas has a similar "religious freedom" law to Indiana -- "The Religious Freedom Restoration Act says the government cannot “substantially burden” a person’s ability to follow their religious beliefs, unless it can prove a compelling interest in imposing that burden or do so in the least restrictive way."
- Why being born a homosexual is an irrelevant argument . . . All men are born wrong. -- "...God doesn’t accept anyone the way they are born. That’s why Jesus told us we must be born again."
- Woman burned alive in crash after GPS leads driver off demolished bridge -- "Lake County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Patricia Van Til said the road is marked with numerous barricades, including orange barrels and cones, large wood signs stating ROAD CLOSED with orange striped markings and concrete barricades across the road."
Wednesday, April 01, 2015
Indiana RFRA and other links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.