The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked.
* And Am I Born to Die? -- "By Béla Fleck and Abigail Washburn (scroll down a bit)"
* And Am I Born to Die? -- "Doc Watson and Gaither Carlton"
* Angel Band -- "Sung by the Stanley Brothers"
* Ecstasy -- "By Crooked Still"
* Glory Bound -- "The Wailin' Jennys at Bethel College in North Newton, KS"
* Lone Pilgrim -- "By Crooked Still"
* Long Time Traveler -- "The Wailin' Jennys at the Freight & Salvage Coffeehouse in Berkeley, CA"
* Oh Come, Angel Band -- "By Skeeter Davis"
* Panting for Heaven -- "Jeni and Billy"
* Sweet Prospect (Medley) -- "Sung by Andy Griffith"
* Weeping Pilgrim -- "Natalie Merchant"
Most of the above songs were suggested by Sacred Harp singers on the Fasola Discussions list, discussing other versions of songs that we sing in the shape note community.
The Jeni and Billie version of Panting for Heaven is a favorite of mine.
Will, I think you were the one who posted it to the discussions list. It is a very nice interpretation of the Sacred Harp tune. I found it also on youtube under the Cooper name "Longing for Heaven" (not sure if they are aware that is the Cooper name, or if they decided to use that to distinguish their arrangement from the Sacred Harp title they knew). I recently listened to some of their other stuff on youtube, including Oxycodone, Chicken Ridge, and Tazewell Beauty Queen. They have nice harmony and sound.
There's also Bob Dylan's version of Lone Pilgrim: http://vimeo.com/107897703
And here is the Jeni and Billy version of Longing/Panting for heaven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWKmf7cqWE
Post a Comment