Translate

Sunday, November 21, 2021

Say “Amen” to God

AMEN.
 
I cannot say,
Beneath the pressure of life’s cares today,
I joy in these;
But I can say
That I would rather walk this rugged way,
If Him it please.
 
I cannot feel
That all is well, when dark’ning clouds conceal
The shining sun;
But then I know
God lives and loves, and say, since it is so,
“Thy will be done.”
 
I cannot speak
In happy tone, the tear-drops on my cheek
Show I am sad;
But I can speak
Of grace to suffer with submission meek,
Until made glad.
 
I do not see
Why God should e’en permit some things to be,
When He is love;
But I can see,
Though often dimly through the mystery,
His hand above.
 
I do not look
Upon the present, nor in nature’s book,
To read my fate;
But I do look
For promised blessings in God’s Holy book,
And I can wait.
 
The above poem was published Thursday, July 6, 1893, in the Baptist and Reflector (Nashville, Tennessee), page 8. The next stanza was not printed in Baptist and Reflector. I ran across it elsewhere, when searching for information on the poem.
 
I may not try
To keep the hot tears back; but hush that sigh,
“It might have been;”
And try to still
Each rising murmur, and to God’s sweet will
Respond—“AMEN.”

No comments: