Translate

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

I Found Him! C. R. Powell

On Thursday the 11th, I wrote and posted C. R. Powell: Where He Comes From and Where He Goes, Nobody Knows. I was quite frustrated that, despite every effort I made, I could not find out when and where he was born, who were his parents, where he went and what happened to him after he was in Little Rock in the 1910s. All I had hinting a family was the death of his little girl Oma in 1904.

Then suddenly, on November 17, God dropped it all in place. I contacted the Marion County Historical Commission wondering whether Oma is buried at Jefferson, Texas. Mitchel Whitington went over and above, not only checking records to confirm that Oma is buried there, but also going to the Oakwood Cemetery to see whether her grave is marked, even taking a picture of the section in which her unmarked grave resides. With this encouragement and excitement, I decided to go back to the censuses to see if I might find Oma Powell in 1900. (I had heretofore searched and searched for Charles Powell in the 1900 and 1910 censuses without results – even though I knew he lived in or around Little Rock, Arkansas in 1910.) Lo and behold, this time the first record result in Ancestry was little Oma with her family living in Red River County, Texas! From there other links fell into place – who were Charles’ parents, who he married, his other children, when he died, and where he is buried. I have added his information to Find-A-Grave. There is still more to learn about him, but I am so pleased to know more than I knew. Now we know where he came from and where he went!

With that in mind, I have rewritten “Where He Comes From and Where He Goes, Nobody Knows” as C. R. Powell: the Landmark Leader who Left.

No comments: