- Book Review: A Church You Can See, by Dennis Bills -- "I sometimes feel like Goldilocks when looking for a book on church membership to give to folks in my church. “This one is too hard, that one is too soft. This one’s too deep, that one’s too shallow.”"
- Book Review: Disruptive Witness, by Alan Noble -- "...the modern mind is often not prepared to engage in dialogue about personally challenging ideas, particularly ones with deep implications”..."
- Book Review: God’s Ambassadors, by Chad Van Dixhoorn -- "The Westminster Assembly truly believed that the health and holiness of the church depended on the regular preaching of the Word."
- Book Review: God’s Country, by Brad Roth -- "While I sometimes disagreed with Roth’s application of biblical passages, I never found myself at odds with his heart, his love, and his passion for God and for people."
- Book Review: Salvation with a Smile: Joel Osteen, Lakewood Church, and American Christianity -- "One key takeaway from the story of Joel Osteen’s ministry is the way that he and other modern mainstream prosperity preachers have altered the prosperity gospel to fit more with America’s secularizing worldview."
- Book Review: The Shaping of Things to Come, by Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch -- "Regrettably, while the authors claim to uphold the authority of the Bible, their book demonstrates a lack of confidence in Scripture."
- Book Review: Why I Love the Apostle Paul, by John Piper -- "...while Why I Love the Apostle Paul is theologically robust, it is not a scholarly piece. Instead, it is an account of how Paul changed Piper’s life..."
- Darwin Devolves: The New Science About DNA That Challenges Evolution, by Michael J. Behe -- "A distinguished book! If you are at all interested in the claims and evidence of evolution, this is a must read."
- Monographs in Baptist History -- "Anabaptist ecclesiology is very much akin, if not in some ways identical, to modern Baptist ecclesiology."
- Review - The Making of a Battle Royal: The Rise of Liberalism in Northern Baptist Life -- "Straub’s gift for storytelling keeps the reader engaged throughout the work as he offers both panoramic views of Northern Baptist life, as well as individual biographical sketches of key Northern Baptist leaders."
- Searching for Answers to Tough Questions: a Book Review -- "He worded his arguments in such a way that I had to stop and consider the evidence myself."
Saturday, June 01, 2019
A Church You Can See, and other book reviews
The posting of book or film reviews does not constitute endorsement of the books or book reviews that are linked.