- autoschediaze, verb, intransitive. To do something hastily and without preparation; to extemporize, improvise.
- avuncular, adjective. Of, relating to, or characteristic of an uncle.
- blue-john, noun or adjective. Milk, that is becoming soured. Often applied to skimmed milk. Compare blinky.
- bonification, noun. The action or an instance of making something good or better; amelioration, improvement; (in later use) spec. the reclamation of land for the purpose of cultivation, construction, etc.
- Interweb, noun. The Internet or the World Wide Web.
- materteral, adjective. Of, relating to, or characteristic of an aunt (particularly, maternal aunt; not in common use).
- Moaning Minnie, noun, colloq. A siren or klaxon, esp. (now hist.) an air-raid siren.
- ojek, noun. A trader who transports goods using a bicycle (a borrowing from Indonesian).
- Pax Romana, noun. Originally, a state of relative peace maintained throughout large parts of the Roman Empire. Now also in extended use: a widespread (esp. international) state of peace maintained under any jurisdiction.
- pungitive, adjective. That pricks or stings; sharp to the senses; fig. (chiefly Sc.) keen, biting.
- roxy, adjective. Of fruit: overripe, almost rotten.
- scrithe, verb, intransitive. To stride; move forward.
- scribblemania, noun. Intense enthusiasm or mania for writing.
- scutchell, noun. A narrow lane or passageway between buildings or hedges. Also: a narrow passage inside a house.
- twitchel, noun. A path between hedges.
- sprucify, verb, transitive. To make neat, trim, or attractive in appearance; to smarten; to spruce up.
“Ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein.” Caveat lector
Friday, May 10, 2019
Words, and more words, again
Some more words and their definitions:
Posted by R. L. Vaughn at 6:14 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment