- autoschediaze, verb, intransitive. To do something hastily and without preparation; to extemporize, improvise.
- avuncular, adjective. Of, relating to, or characteristic of an uncle.
- blue-john, noun or adjective. Milk, that is becoming soured. Often applied to skimmed milk. Compare blinky.
- bonification, noun. The action or an instance of making something good or better; amelioration, improvement; (in later use) spec. the reclamation of land for the purpose of cultivation, construction, etc.
- Interweb, noun. The Internet or the World Wide Web.
- materteral, adjective. Of, relating to, or characteristic of an aunt (particularly, maternal aunt; not in common use).
- Moaning Minnie, noun, colloq. A siren or klaxon, esp. (now hist.) an air-raid siren.
- ojek, noun. A trader who transports goods using a bicycle (a borrowing from Indonesian).
- Pax Romana, noun. Originally, a state of relative peace maintained throughout large parts of the Roman Empire. Now also in extended use: a widespread (esp. international) state of peace maintained under any jurisdiction.
- pungitive, adjective. That pricks or stings; sharp to the senses; fig. (chiefly Sc.) keen, biting.
- roxy, adjective. Of fruit: overripe, almost rotten.
- scrithe, verb, intransitive. To stride; move forward.
- scribblemania, noun. Intense enthusiasm or mania for writing.
- scutchell, noun. A narrow lane or passageway between buildings or hedges. Also: a narrow passage inside a house.
- twitchel, noun. A path between hedges.
- sprucify, verb, transitive. To make neat, trim, or attractive in appearance; to smarten; to spruce up.
Friday, May 10, 2019
Words, and more words, again
Some more words and their definitions: