- Who Owns Folk Songs? -- "It’s almost never the songbook publisher, even if that company name appears with a copyright notice on the bottom of the page."
- The Pros and Cons of Imitating the South -- "You can take a folklorist’s position and strive for an “authentic” style, and that’s your privilege, if you’re into folk arts."
- The Good Old Songs: The Cream of the Old Music -- "Digitized scan available on the University of Missouri Digital Library website."
- The Composer’s Debt to Shape-Notes -- "Many researchers have noted that the invention of the shape-note system simplified the reading of music for the masses."
- Texas: A Blues State -- "Widespread influences created ‘a sort of international blues, a United Nations gumbo of sounds’"
- Rebirth for Dead Letter -- " With shape notes, people of pedestrian musical abilities or less can do what musicians train for years to do, and still many professionals cannot…"
- Omit the Third Verse -- "To omit a stanza is to lose one link in a golden chain and greatly to reduce the value of the whole hymn."
- Now You See It, Now You Don't -- "I asked her half-jokingly if she were planning to do some shape-note singing. Cathy comes from a Southern Baptist background and she also plays the piano."
- Four Questions: Steve Sensenig on Worship and Music -- "...I think the way in which music is handled in most contemporary churches misses the point."
- Female Composers in the Sacred Harp -- "4.5% (25) of songs in the [1991 Denson] book are by female composers. 84.3% (467) of songs are by male composers. 11.2% (62) of songs are by composers of unknown gender."
- Baptist Hymns and Hymnals -- "A list"
- Almeda Riddle: Now Let’s Talk about Singing (1985) -- "Almeda Riddle was born in 1898, near Greer’s Ferry, Arkansas and lived her entire life in that area. Her father was a fiddler, a singer, and a teacher of shaped-note singing."
- Accent & Emphasis in Sacred Harp singing -- "If you have been singing Sacred Harp for a while, you will probably have heard someone talk about ‘accent’. Accent is one of the most important musical characteristics of the Sacred Harp tradition."
Saturday, March 30, 2019
Who Owns Folk Songs, and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.