- An exhaustive listing of the marginal notes of the 1611 edition of the King James Bible -- "These marginal notes are available in scans and published reprints of the 1611, but we believe that listing them all together and in modern spelling makes it much easier to study the notes in depth, or to do quick visual scans."
- Can We Just Be Friends?—Some Reflections on the Graham Rule -- "Although it isn’t a position that I have encountered that much in the wild, some Christians believe that the Graham/Pence Rule should be a hard-and-fast rule for all Christians to follow."
- Do LGBT people have to choose between following Christ and sexual immorality? -- "People living in sexual immorality do indeed have to choose between their sin and Jesus."
- Evangelical Robert Jeffress thinks Jews are going to hell. Israelis are OK with that. -- "Netanyahu presumably doesn’t share that belief [of Jeffress] about the end times, which is why he’s happy to accept the help of evangelicals in the present."
- Evangelicals Move the Goalposts on Adiaphora -- "Evangelicals, compared to fundamentalists or separatists, categorize more matters as disputable. This list is growing too. More beliefs and practices are disputable than ever."
- God and the Laws of Logic: A Brief Defense of Divine Conceptualism -- "Even children realize that things happen for a reason—things are the way they are for a reason."
- Harboring Conflicting Emotions Regarding Paige Patterson’s Counsel on Spousal Abuse and the Resulting Implications -- "What if my speaking engagements (at least nine scheduled as of today) or the several awards that I have recently received (including a Distinguished Alumni award that I will be receiving at Ouachita Baptist University in September) were revoked because of wrong advice that I gave 40 years ago? This is why I am sympathetic toward Dr. Patterson and his plight."
- How the Exodus Connects to Baptism & the Lord’s Supper -- "In baptism, we celebrate the burial of the old, the passing from death into life, and the drowning of our enemies in floodwaters."
- Is it wrong to say God inspired the writers of the Bible? -- "In recent years I have noticed an increasing trend in Fundamentalism objecting to statements to the effect that the writers of Scripture were inspired. It often comes across in clichés such as “God inspired the words, not the writers”."
- Megachurch Pastor, Andy Stanley, Says Unity More Important Than Theology -- "Church unity is more important than “theological correctness,” according to North Point Community Church Senior Pastor Andy Stanley at a conference with approximately 8,000 attendees."
- Men, Women, and the Place of True Equality -- "God could do anything he wanted without us, but he chose to use us. And God chose both men and women to fulfill his purposes in the world for the good of the church and for his glory."
- Mitt Romney: Robert Jeffress is ‘religious bigot,’ wrong man to give Jerusalem embassy prayer -- "'Historic Christianity has taught for 2,000 years that salvation is through faith in Christ alone. The fact that I, along with tens of millions of evangelical Christians around the world, continue to espouse that belief, is neither bigoted nor newsworthy,' Jeffress said."
- Paige Patterson controversy tests SBC’s ‘no criticism’ code, says former denominational worker -- "Southern Baptist Convention leaders are distancing themselves from an embattled seminary president in an unusual departure from custom about never speaking ill in public about a fellow agency head..."
- Revealed – The Next Step on the Slippery Slope -- "...many years ago I was mocked for saying that same-sex adoption would lead to those who did not support it, being banned from adopting. It happened."
- Shafter church celebrates its 80-year Southern Baptist roots -- "With those three letters, they began First Southern Baptist in Shafter, established in 1936 as the Orthodox Independent Missionary Baptist Church."
- Should Elders Insist on Unanimity? -- "In 2 Corinthians 2:6, the church appears to have exercised church discipline by a ‘majority’."
- The Desirability of Keeping the Authorized Version by J. C. Philpot, 1857 -- "...we deprecate any alteration as a measure that, for the smallest sprinkling of good, would deluge us with a flood of evil."
- The Local Church as a Counterculture -- "Where Christianity is well-established and culturally ingrained, it’s easier to lose sight of just how revolutionary the church should be."
- The Westcott and Hort Text Under Fire -- "Before the Canterbury Revision saw the light in 1881, there had been repeated omens of disaster."
- “Traditionalist” Leader Resigns From Anti-Calvinism Group After Making Inappropriate Comment -- "Patrick’s point was a simple one; anyone can claim anything about anyone else, and without evidence, there is no good way to determine the truth or veracity of their claims."
- What do you call a Baptist who attends a Presbyterian Church? -- "Not a Baptist."
Friday, May 25, 2018
An exhaustive listing, and other links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.