- Advancing Progressive Orthodoxy: William Owen Carver -- "One of the most important debates among scholars of southern religion concerns the reaction of white southern evangelical Protestantism to the modernizing influences that prevailed outside the region from the end of the nineteenth century to well into the twentieth century."
- Biden: Hero Who Stopped Texas Church Shooter Was Wrong To Have A Gun -- "The kind of gun being carried he shouldn't be carrying."
- Bodycam Advocates Now Claim Body Cameras Are A 'Threat To Civil Rights' -- "A big concern listed in the report is an officer's ability to watch the footage whenever they want, including before they write incident reports."
- Church in Henderson turns 175 years old -- "It is older than the state of Texas and the town of Henderson."
- Little-known gem, the Virginia Baptist Historical Society has been housed on campus since 1876 -- "Anywhere from 350 to 600 researchers from Virginia, the nation, and across the globe come through the society’s doors every year to comb through the archives for historical information."
- Museum of the Bible opens in DC -- "It is an ambitious attempt to appeal simultaneously to people of deep faith and no faith, and to stand out amid the impressive constellation of museums in Washington."
- Ohio Lawmaker resigns after ‘inappropriate behavior’ with another man in state office -- "It became clear that his resignation was the most appropriate course of action for him, his family, the constituents of the 87th House District and this institution."
- One Week After Texas Church Shooting, a Sunday Service Offers Hope -- "On Sunday morning, congregants sang “Amazing Grace” and said they found strength in Mr. Pomeroy’s message: Darkness will not win."
- Pastoring a Rural Church Isn’t a “Lesser” Ministry -- "Though it’s true that rural and urban churches have many differences, it’s important not to overstate the case."
- Two accidentally shot in church while discussing church shootings -- "Both the husband and wife, who is also in her 80s, were flown to the University of Tennessee Medical Center with injuries that police said didn't appear to be life-threatening."
- The Church Has Two Missions: Narrow and Broad -- "...we can say that God authorizes a church-as-organized-collective one way and a church-as-its-members another way."
- Update: Tennessee Baptists Kick Out Church with Lady Impastor -- "...Tennessee Southern Baptists have given the church the left boot of fellowship."
Saturday, November 25, 2017
Hero Who Stopped Texas Church Shooter, and other links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.