- A Critical Assessment of Dispensationalism -- "Pink’s book is a useful introduction to the problems of normative/classic Dispensationalism, but it’s also outdated."
- Book Review: Baptist Distinctives and New Testament Church Order, by Kevin Bauder -- "This book is designed to be a primer on six Baptist distinctives, and, in that regard, it is a welcome addition."
- Book Review: By His Grace and For His Glory: A Historical, Theological and Practical Study of the Doctrines of Grace in Baptist Life, by Thomas J. Nettles -- "This work can help pastors and members alike better understand how the doctrines of grace undergird and fuel passionate evangelism and missionary endeavors."
- Book Review: Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God, by J. I. Packer -- "Packer’s book offers a concise and compelling argument unpacking how evangelism and the sovereignty of God co-exist, and if properly understood, enhance one another."
- Book Review: Preaching as Reminding, by Jeffrey D. Arthurs -- "As helpful as I found Preaching as Reminding, I have two concerns. First, while grounding his argument for preachers as the Lord’s remembrancers in the doctrine of God, much of Arthurs’ explanations are rooted in neuroscience and neuropsychology."
- Is Secession Treason? -- "Historical inquiry, even on sensitive and “controversial” topics should produce accolades, not resentment or punishment, but the gatekeepers of acceptable opinion do not reward independent thinkers who tackle topics that may point to conclusions they wish to avoid."
- Refuting Compromise by Dr. Jonathan Sarfati, Reviewed by Tim Chaffey -- "The average layman will not have trouble understanding most of the book. There are a few sections (shaded in gray) which are quite technical but the reader may skip these gray sections and not miss the point."
- Review of John Lennox’s Book Seven Days That Divide the World: The Beginning According to Genesis and Science -- "His admission that Genesis can be interpreted in terms of a young earth is commendable, but his assertion that Genesis does not have to be interpreted that way has nothing to do with the text, but everything to do with his a priori assumptions concerning the age of the earth."
Friday, July 12, 2019
A Critical Assessment, and other book reviews
The posting of book or film reviews does not constitute endorsement of the books or book reviews that are linked.