Translate

Sunday, November 04, 2018

The Stretcher Bearer

Would you be my stretcher bearers, when I can no longer stand? 
Would you each pick up a corner of my pallet in your hand? 
This burden’s just too heavy, I find I cannot bear 
Its pain, its grief, its sorrow; and so I chance to dare — 
To ask if you would carry me through valleys dark and wide; 
Then set me safely down again where peace and hope abide. 
God said His yoke was easy and His burden would be light; 
That’s surely why He sent you each to lead me through the night. 
And now I must lift others and the burdens they may bring; 
I’ll be a stretcher bearer, carrying wounded for the King.

This poem is sometimes credited to Thomas Albert Crawford (1897-1980), but his is a different poem that begins “My stretcher is one scarlet stain” – written in 1916, apparently after he was wounded at the Battle of the Somme in France. In her book Diamonds in the Dust: 366 Sparkling Devotions, Joni Eareckson Tada credits the above poem to Bev Engeldinger. I have no information on this author.

No comments: