Translate

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Use of imperatives in the Bible

The comments below are excepted from some originally posted by Scott Ransom at the Baptist Board (I've lost the direct link). He said these were from notes he took in a class on moral theology. They address a subject of interest to me, orthopraxy/normal biblical practice. I'm not sure I agree on all points, but I found it interesting.

Summary - Use of imperatives of the Bible is enduring for us if:
  • it is addressed to an enduring audience
  • it is based on a permanent relationship
  • it is repeated, especially transculturally
  • it is supported by prescriptive, and not merely descriptive, passages
  • it is supported without abusing its literary genre
  • it is taught as principle, not merely a manifestation of a principle

No comments: