Translate

Friday, March 01, 2024

What has crept in to your theology and biblical facts?

On Wednesday I posted “Was A. T. Robertson a conservative Baptist.” The intent was not to speak ill of the dead, but to make a point – which I want to tease out a bit further today. 

I believe that A. T. Robertson was generally well thought-of (as a teacher) in the circles I grew up in. If memory serves, it was usually his Harmony of the Gospels that was recommended to young preachers and Bible students studying the Gospels. His Greek Grammar was also recommended. However, as I pointed out, I have come to think (knowing what I now know) that Robertson was not all that conservative, neither was he holding the line against liberalism encroaching into Southern Baptist ranks.[i] 

From time to time, through Bible study, introspection, and conviction of the Holy Spirit, I find that I have imbibed of teachings (often “small” things, but wrong nevertheless) that have crept in unawares through respected Bible teachers with a less than stellar regard for the inspiration and authority of word of God. It may be something I picked up forty years ago; sometimes it is something I picked up four years ago (or read last week). We must be ever alert and on guard. 

When at our church we began our study of the book of Acts over three years ago, I read commentators who pointed out that only Luke records the ascension of Christ (in Luke 24:51-53 and Acts 1:9-11). That sounds good on the surface, and it can get stuck as a “fact” in our pea brains. However, as I studied and the Spirit led into truth, I remembered – wait a minute, it is only those guys that reject the last twelve verses of Mark chapter 16 who can say that! Mark mentioned it as well. (See Mark 16:19.)

Let us be diligent. Let us be careful. Let us be watchful. Be aware and beware. A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

  • “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour…” 1 Peter 5:8
  • “Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain…” Revelation 3:2
  • “…they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.” Acts 17:11


[i] In case a reader wonders, I am not Southern Baptist. However, the Southern Baptist Convention is the largest and most influential body of Baptists here in the United States.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great admonition, Brother!
E. T. Chapman

R. L. Vaughn said...

Thanks, Brother Chapman. Good to hear from you.

I pray the Lord blesses me to listen to my own admonition.