Translate

Sunday, March 03, 2024

Trust in God, my faithful God

The original hymn, “Auff meinen lieben Gott,” was written in German, by Sigismund Weingärtner (or Weingärt). Very little is known of this author. It appeared on page 836 in Martin Luther’s Geistliche Psalmen, Hymnen, Lieder, und Gebet, Welche in Den Christlichen Kirchen Versamblungen Anhörung (1607). Very little is known of Weingärtner. It is assumed he was a preacher associated with Martin Luther. Weingärtner also wrote the hymn on page 765, “Auff Jesum Christ steht all mein thun” (“On Jesus Christ rests all I do”). This one has not been translated into English, as far as I can tell.

The hymn expresses trust in God in all times. God seeks our best in the good and bad times of life, in death, and in eternal heavenly gladness.

Catherine Winkworth translated Weingärtner’s hymn into English. The translation was published in The Chorale Book for England (hymns by Winkworth, with tunes compiled by William Sterndale Bennett, London: Longman, Green, et al., 1865, No. 147). It is presented opposite an “Original Tune” with which to sing it, with the same meter – 6.6.7.7.7.7. John Julian calls Winkworth (1827-1878) “the foremost in rank and popularity” of modern translators from the German into English. Many of her translations remain in use today.

Catherine Winkworth was born in England in 1827, daughter of Henry Winkworth, a silk merchant. She died in Switzerland (some sources say France), in 1878. Winkworth was buried there, but has a memorial erected in England. She learned the German language while living in Germany, and possessed an ability to create poetic English translations that were still close to the originals.

1. In God, my faithful God,
I trust when dark my road;
Though many woes o’ertake me;
Yet he will not forsake me.
His love it is doth send them
And, when ’tis best, will end them.

2. My sins assail me sore,
But I despair no more.
I build on Christ who loves me;
From this Rock nothing moves me.
Since I can all surrender,
To him, my soul’s Defender.

3. If death my portion be,
Then death is gain to me
And Christ my life for ever,
From whom death cannot sever.
Come when it may, he’ll shield me,
To him I wholly yield me.

4. Ah, Jesus Christ, my Lord,
So meek in deed and word,
Thou diedst once to save us,
Because thou fain would have us
When ends this life of sadness
Heirs of thy heav’nly gladness.

5. “So be it,” then I say
With all my heart each day:
Guide us while here we wander,
Till safely landed yonder
We, too, dear Lord, adore thee,
And sing for joy before thee.

No comments: