Translate

Sunday, March 10, 2024

Nothing but the Blood

Nothing But the Blood of Jesus is an old Baptist standby, and among my all-time favorite songs. It emphasizes a truth often repudiated in modern apostatizing Christianity. It is the blood of Jesus that cleanses us from sin (1 John 1:7) – there is no other fount (Zechariah 13:1). Works will neither atone, nor provide hope and peace. Before God, our only plea is the blood of Jesus.

Robert Lowry built a repeating or interrupting refrain of the campmeeting style – “nothing but the blood of Jesus” – into his song. This becomes the all-encompassing theme, reinforced in a chorus that follows each of the six stanzas. The song was first published in 1876 as song number 7 in Gospel Music: a Choice Collection of Hymns and Melodies, New and Old, for Gospel, Revival, Prayer and Social Meetings, Family Worship, &c., by Lowry (a Baptist preacher) and William Howard Doane (a Baptist choir director). Underneath the title, Lowry referenced Hebrews 9:22, “Without shedding of blood is no remission…” The style may be too crude for the erudite; the hymn is too dogmatic for the apostate. I love it.

Though mostly just known as Nothing But the Blood of Jesus or Nothing But the Blood, the tune name is identified as Plainfield in many newer hymnals.[i] It has six stanzas, rounding out with glorious praise of the Redeemer – though most songbooks only print the first four stanzas.

1. What can wash away my sin?[ii]
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Chorus:
O precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know;
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

2. For my pardon this I see:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
For my cleansing this my plea:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

3. Nothing can for sin atone:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Naught of good that I have done:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

4. This is all my hope and peace:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
This is all my righteousness:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

5. Now by this I’ll overcome:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Now by this I’ll reach my home:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

6. Glory! Glory! thus I sing:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
All my praise for this I bring:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Robert Wadsworth Lowry wrote both words and music of “Nothing but the blood.” He was born in Pennsylvania March 12, 1826, the son of Crozier and Elizabeth Lowry. The elder Lowrys were old Presbyterian stock from Ireland, and they had their son baptized May 7, 1826.

Lowry joined the First Baptist Church of Philadelphia at age 17. Soon after he entered the University of Lewisburg (now Bucknell University). Lowry was a Baptist minister as well as a composer of Christian songs. He pastored churches in Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey. Lowry served as a faculty member and chancellor at the University of Lewisburg, and as President of the New Jersey Baptist Sunday School Union.

Lowry married first Anna Rhees Loxley (1824–1890) and they had five children.[iii] After her death, he married Mary Jane Runyon (1852–1941). He worked as a music editor for Biglow Publishing Company, and wrote around 500 songs. Lowry died in New Jersey November 25, 1899. He (as well as Anna and Mary) is buried at the Hillside Cemetery in Scotch Plains, Union County, New Jersey. Robert Lowry said, “I have always looked upon myself as a preacher and felt a sort of depreciation when I began to be known more as a composer.” Today he is probably remembered most as a composer rather than a preacher – but in his compositions he preaches to us truths from God’s word.


[i] For Plainfield, New Jersey, where Lowry pastored the Park Avenue Baptist Church.
[ii] Originally the word was “stain,” but is printed “sin” in most songbooks today. Sin rhymes better for those of us who say “uh-gen,” but stain better for those who say “uh-geyn,”
[iii] Anna’s father, Benjamin Reed Loxley, was also a Baptist minister.

No comments: