Translate

Monday, March 25, 2024

The Gospel

The gospel is how (according to the Scriptures) that Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again for our justification – the message that “God saves sinners.” (Romans 1:16-17, 1 Corinthians 15:1–5)

“We Christians know that we are sinners; and we look to the Bible for something more than inspiring poetry or soul-stirring exhortation or expert instruction in the art of being religious...in my own right I am a sinner under the wrath and curse of God, and that in my own strength I am under the awful bondage of sin. What I need first of all is not exhortation, but a gospel, not directions for saving myself but knowledge of how God has saved me. Have you any good news? That is the question that I ask of you. I know your exhortations will not help me. But if anything has been done to save me, will you not tell me the facts?” (J. Gresham Machen, The Christian Faith in the Modern World, pp. 56-57)

2 comments:

Alex A. Hanna said...

i find a useful supplementary verses to be:
Eph 1:13-14
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

just because i am that guy RLV...if something is packaged nicely, i will still wrap some additional duct tape around it.

R. L. Vaughn said...

Alex Hanna,

1. Ephesians 1:13-14 - very good verses for the context.

2. Add a can of WD-40 and you have the ultimate hillbilly handyman kit.