Translate

Sunday, December 24, 2023

He Is Mine and I Am His

A hymn in the same general spirit as I Am His, and He is Mine, by George Wade Robinson, is He Is Mine and I Am His, by G. T. Speer. This song has two stanzas and a chorus, as follows.

1. God’s amazing grace sent down from heaven,
Rescued me from death and from shame;
Opened up my eyes and brought salvation,
Now I’m his, praise his holy name.

Chorus:
Now I know that he is mine, and I’m his forever,
He is leading me along life’s way;
He’ll be holding to my hand when I cross death’s river,
He will take the sting of death away.

2. ’Tis so sweet to know I have Jesus with me,
He will keep me from sin and from strife;
He delivered me from condemnation,
Now I have eternal life.

Both the words and music of this song were written by G. T. (George Thomas) “Dad” Speer. G. T. Speer was born March 10, 1891 in Fayette County, Georgia, the son of James Jackson Speer and Emley Wesley Davis. The family moved to Winston County, Alabama, and he grew up there. After serving in World War I, G. T. Speer met and married Lena Brock. He was a shape-note singing school teacher and songwriter. They eventually formed the Singing Speer Family Southern Gospel singing group. G. T. and Lena were inducted into the Gospel Music Association Hall of Fame in 1971 and 1972, respectively. They are buried at Woodlawn Memorial Park and Mausoleum in Nashville, Tennessee.

Son Ben Speer believed that He Is Mine and I Am His, written circa 1965, was the last song written by his father G. T. Speer.

Listen to the song HERE.

No comments: