Translate

Sunday, December 17, 2023

I Am His, and He Is Mine

The hymn below was written by George Wade Robinson. Robinson was born in 1838 in Cork, Ireland. He was a Congregationalist minister, hymn writer, and poet. He died January 23, 1877 at Southampton, leaving a wife and six children. The hymn beautifully expresses the joy of knowing “I am his and he is mine.”

1. Loved with everlasting love, 
Drawn by grace that love to know; 
Spirit, breathing from above, 
Thou hast taught me it is so! 
Oh, this full and perfect peace! 
Oh, this transport all divine! 
In a love which cannot cease, 
I am his, and he is mine. 
 
2. Heav’n above is softer blue, 
Earth around is sweeter green! 
Something lives in ev’ry hue 
Christless eyes have never seen: 
Birds with gladder songs o’erflow, 
Flow’rs with deeper beauties shine, 
Since I know, as now I know, 
I am his, and he is mine. 
 
3. Things that once were wild alarms 
Cannot now disturb my rest; 
Closed in everlasting arms, 
Pillowed on the loving breast. 
Oh. to lie forever here, 
Doubt and care and self resign, 
While he whispers in my ear- 
I am his, and he is mine. 
 
4. His for ever, only his: 
Who the Lord and me shall part? 
Ah, with what a rest of bliss 
Christ can fill the loving heart! 
Heav’n and earth may fade and flee, 
Firstborn light in gloom decline; 
But, while God and I shall be, 
I am his, and he is mine. 

The hymn is most often sung with the tune Everlasting Love by James Mountain (1844-1933), an English pastor and evangelist. Listen to the song HERE.

George Wade Robinson is sometimes credited as the author of “One sole baptismal sign” in J. Leifchild’s Original Hymns. However, this book was printed in 1842 and George Wade Robinson would have been only four years old at the time.

No comments: