Translate

Friday, December 01, 2023

Am I missing something?

Hebrews 10:25 states, “not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.”

I wonder if I am missing something in interpreting the meaning of Hebrews 10:25 – specifically “the day approaching.” What day is meant? As I check sermons and commentaries, it seems most of them are looking for a “big” day. The fall of Jerusalem. The day of death. The second coming of Christ. The day of judgment. Though not in agreement, these are the days most commonly suggested.

To me it seems there is only one “day” that does not have to be imported from outside the text. The only day in the context is the day of assembling. Encourage and exhort one another as we see the day of assembly coming. Then assemble. That in itself is a “big” day. Maybe we have forgotten.

This post is primarily exegetical in focus. What is the day meant in Hebrews 10:25? 

However, if you are forsaking the assembling, you might ask yourself the same question, “Am I missing something?”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your interpretation made me think. I'm not sure yet whether I agree with you about "the day."

E.T. Chapman

R. L. Vaughn said...

Brother, I would be interested to hear you further thoughts on this. I found that very few commentators and none of Facebook friends agreed with my interpretation!

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I have so little time to analyze it now. I've tucked the idea away to be aware of when reading & meditating on the scriptures. So maybe n the future …