Translate

Sunday, January 09, 2022

Peace in the Valley

Thomas Andrew Dorsey (1899–1993) wrote There’ll Be Peace in the Valley for Me (both words and music; often simply called Peace in the Valley).[i] Dorsey was musician, composer, evangelist, and music director, born in Carroll County, Georgia, the son of Thomas Dorsey and Etta Plant. His father was a Baptist minister. Thomas A. Dorsey moved to Chicago sometime before 1920. He is well known for this song, as well as Take My Hand, Precious Lord. The latter he wrote after his wife Nettie died in childbirth, and their infant son. Dorsey served as the music director for about 50 years at Pilgrim Baptist Church in Chicago, Illinois. He founded the National Convention of Gospel Choirs and Choruses.

Peace in the Valley has been recorded by many big name stars, including Mahalia Jackson, Red Foley and the Sunshine Boys, Elvis Presley, Jo Stafford, Little Richard, Connie Francis, George Jones, Jimmy Durante, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, and Ronnie Milsap. Often designated the “Father of Gospel Music,” Dorsey was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 1982.

1. Well, I’m tired and so weary
But I must go along
Till the Lord comes and calls me away (oh yes);
Well the morning’s so bright
And the Lamb is the light
And the night is as fair as the day (oh yes).
 
2. There the flow’rs will be blooming,
And the grass will be green,
And the skies will be clear and serene (oh yes);
Well the sun ever beams
In this valley of dreams
And no clouds will ever be seen (oh yes).
 
3. Well the bear will be gentle
And the wolf will be tame
And the lion shall lay down by the lamb (oh yes);
And the beasts from the wild
Shall be led by a child
And I’ll be changed from this creature that I am (oh yes).
 
Chorus:
There will be peace in the valley for me, some day
There will be peace in the valley for me, oh Lord I pray;
There’ll be no sadness, no sorrow
No trouble, trouble I’ll see
There will be peace in the valley for me (for me).


[i] According to Wikipedia, originally for Mahalia Jackson.

No comments: