Translate

Friday, January 28, 2022

He who dares not offend, and other quotes

The posting of quotes by human authors does not constitute agreement with either the quotes or their sources. (I try to confirm the sources that I give, but may miss on occasion; please verify if possible.)

“Translation it is that openeth the window, to let in the light; that breaketh the shell, that we may eat the kernel.” -- Myles Smith

“Beyond the theological incompatibilities already discussed, the modern textual criticism model simply contravenes the clear and straightforward meaning of a number of other biblical passages that emphasize God’s direct and immediate role in preservation as well as truth-affirmations about the context, timing, and goal of the preservation of scripture.” -- Kent Brandenburg

“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” -- attributed to Thomas Paine

“If the broad light of day could be let in upon men’s actions, it would purify them as the sun disinfects.” -- Louis Brandeis

“Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants.” -- Louis Brandeis

“Transparency is the best antiseptic.” -- Probably derived from Brandeis’s comment, above

“In the pain our God draws near, to fire a faith worth more than gold—and there his faithfulness is told.” -- Keith and Kristyn Getty

“The [Bible Version] pluralists are sailing in a burning boat, shouting at a boat that is not on fire.” -- Taylor DeSoto

“The church is not enslaved to scholarship.” -- One of the Peter Van Kleecks (I failed to note which one)

“I was angry with my friend; I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe: I told it not , my wrath did grow.” -- William Blake

“If the Scriptures are inspired, the true and potential author is God, and not the individual writers, whether known or anonymous.” -- Adapted from a statement by Samuel Tregelles, in An Account of the Printed Text of the Greek New Testament, p. 260

“You can go crazy trying to explain sunlight to people looking at shadows.” -- Heard

“Passion often overrules conscience and forces it to give a false judgment.” -- Matthew Henry

“Elders serve by leading and deacons lead by serving.” -- Matt Smethurst

“If a man cannot mourn at hearing about the wrath of God, he must burn at feeling it.” -- Stephen Marshall, Puritan minister (1594–1655)

No comments: