- brass-necked, adjective. Of a manufactured item: that has a neck made of or covered in brass.
- briche, adjective. Useful, helpful, or beneficial.
- brickscape, noun. A view or prospect dominated by brick structures, as in a town or city; an urban landscape.
- bubbleable, adjective. Of a person: gullible; easy to cheat or dupe.
- butteraceous, adjective. Of the nature or consistency of butter; buttery.
- dildock, noun. A liquid used for rubbing on the body to relieve pain; a liniment, an embrocation. Cf. opodeldoc.
- gamify, verb, transitive. To make (something) into or like a game; spec. to apply elements of game playing, such as point scoring, competition with others, etc., to (an activity), typically to encourage engagement with a product or service.
- gloopy, adjective. Glutinous, viscous; gluey or sticky; sloppy or gooey.
- hand-me-down, adjective and noun. Originally and chiefly of clothing: that has been handed down or passed on. Occasionally also: ready made, as opposed to tailored; off-the-peg.
- infatuation, noun. The state of being infatuated; foolish or all-absorbing passion or an instance of this. Cf. limerance.
- limerance, noun. The state of being love-stricken. Cf. Infatuation.
- mafted, adjective. In predicative use: oppressed or stifled, esp. by the heat; exhausted from heat, crowds, or exertion.
- opodeldoc, noun. A medical liniment made by mixing soap, alcohol, and essential oils. Cf. dildock.
- powhead, noun. A tadpole. Also figurative.
- quid pro quo, noun. Something that is given or received in return for something else.
- riot, noun. Waywardness; contrariness. Obsolete. rare.
- spuggy, noun. The house sparrow.
- schmendrick, n. A foolish, immature, or naive person; (also) an obnoxious person.
Saturday, October 26, 2019
The next set of words and their definitions.