- Churches Are Twice as Likely to Fear Refugees as to Help Them -- "Telephone survey studies how American Protestants are engaging the refugee crisis, and why many are not."
- Corrective Church Discipline -- "One of the most important and difficult tasks a pastor must undertake is leading his congregation to understand and obey what the Bible says about church discipline."
- Defining Evangelicals in an Election Year -- "We think there is a more coherent and consistent way to understand who evangelicals are—one based on what evangelicals believe."
- Don’t Take Your Kids to a Megachurch: An Open Letter to Andy Stanley -- "Don’t take your kids to a megachurch, where the preacher and “worship leader” are rock stars."
- Is Anyone Really Surprised by Elevation Church’s ‘Spontaneous Baptisms’? -- "What if no one wants to get baptized?...Plant a few “volunteers” in the crowd to respond to the baptism calls first, and others will surely follow."
- Meet The Revolutionary Abigail Adams -- "...this remarkable woman recorded 1,200 letter exchanges with her husband John Adams throughout their marriage, likely making her one of the most documented women of her time."
- PC Hysteria Claims Another Professor -- "The movement to purge all offensive speech from American college campuses has claimed another scalp."
- Preachers, Politics, and Spiritual Authority -- "When men see that a Christian minister’s hopes and fears are invested in this world just like other men, then they naturally assume that he is no more invested in the world to come than they themselves are."
- Recovering the Satellites -- "While the bible is silent about the proper operation of universities, it does provide the standards by which churches should operate. Unlike the case of university expansion, there is an inherent ecclesiological problem with the creation of church satellite campuses."
- Tech and civil rights groups rally behind Apple in court filings -- "For practical reasons, the security bypass this Court would order Apple to create almost certainly will be used on other iPhones in the future. This spread increases the risk that the forensic software will escape Apple’s control either through theft, embezzlement, or order of another court, including a foreign government."
- The Myth of the Evangelical Trump Voters -- "...Trump does not come out on top among those voters for whom the religious faith of the candidate matters most."
- The Science Behind Why It Hurts So Much to Step on a LEGO -- "Death, taxes, and stepping on a LEGO: the three universal inevitabilities."
- This Is the Oldest Dairy Queen in Texas. Yes, Really -- "There are no fancy signs outside proclaiming it to be the oldest Dairy Queen..."
- Three Reasons We Should Refuse to Be Colorblind -- "If you don't notice the differences in musical notes, you can't notice the beauty of harmony when very different notes are artfully brought together."
- Will Lee Daniels, Bishop Yvette Flunder and Dr. Forrest Harris Convince the Black Church/Community to Affirm Homosexuality? -- "In the dawning of this new millennium, homosexuality has burst out of the closet and into the mainstream of American life and society."
Thursday, March 10, 2016
Twice as likely, and other links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.