Translate

Friday, December 20, 2013

When reality stars get real

[Disclaimer: I have never watched Duck Dynasty, neither do I have any intentions to do so. When I hear reality show, I run the other way.]

Whether or not you watch Duck Dynasty, you've probably heard the furor over family member Phil Robertson's comments about sin, homosexuality, promiscuity, bestiality and so forth. In what I read, though I did finally find it, most didn't want to discuss the text of Robertson's statements, but more the context. I'm not going to quote the comments either. Part of it is pretty plain (or not so pretty if you will).

Bottom line is that Phil Robertson's declaration of homosexuality as a sin has created a firestorm. GLAAD spokesperson Wilson Cruz has called Phil's comments lies (“Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil’s lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe.”). But they are his beliefs and opinions, not "lies" (Notice Cruz has an opinion about what "true Christians" believe).

The uproar really has A & E on the hot-seat. This is their bestseller, the cream of their crop. How will they walk the line to keep from offending either the viewers who are making the show a success and the detractors who would love to shut it down? I think they'll hope that time will heal the wounds and the show will go on.

This is an example of some of the kind of stuff I was thinking of in my blog post I wish a month ago -- the stopping of ears and gnashing of teeth. We have been so googley-eyed so long for politicians who never issue a statement that's not coated profusely in Teflon that we can't stand anyone just plainly saying what they believe when asked what they believe. GQ asked Phil. He told them. That's what plain folks do. That's free speech. You don't have to watch Duck Dynasty. You don't have to recommend it. You don't have to support its advertisers or its network.

No comments: