Translate

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Word for today -- doggo

I used to do a "word for today" on a more consistent basis, but I've kind of gotten away from it. Yesterday I learned a new word via my crossword puzzle -- "doggo" or "lie doggo". I didn't know the answer to the clue, but got the word right because it had to be "doggo" to fit with the other clues and answers.

So, not familiar with the term, I went to the dictionary. According to Dictionary.com "doggo" means "in hiding and keeping quiet." It is usually or especially used with "lie" or "lying". To "lie doggo" is "to keep out of sight," or as Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary puts it, "to keep still and hide so that you cannot be found."

I suppose there are thousands upon thousands that I don't know the meaning of and/or have never heard. But I was slightly pleased to find out that this is primarily British Slang.

Can you use "lie doggo" in a sentence? (I just did!)

No comments: