Translate

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

He blushed in blood

While searching for information on Isaac Watts' "Just as the tree cut down" poetry, I ran across the following poem on the Memorial University's Restoration Movement site . The poem is somewhat unusual, to my way of thinking, perhaps partly because of its 12th century origin and its being a translation. It evidently hasn't been much a part of the southern singing tradition, though it found its way at least into the The Southern Zion's Songster; Hymns Designed for Sabbath Schools, Prayer, and Social Meetings, and the Camps (1864).

Of Him Who did salvation bring,
I could forever think and sing:
Arise, ye needy, He’ll relieve;
Arise, ye guilty, He’ll forgive.

Ask but His grace, and lo, ’tis given!
Ask, and He turns your hell to heaven;
Though sin and sorrow wound my soul,
Jesus, Thy balm will make it whole.

To shame our sins He blushed in blood;
He closed His eyes to show us God:
Let all the world fall down and know
That none but God such love can show.

'Tis thee I love, for thee alone
I shed my tears and make my moan!
Where'er I am, where'er I move,
I meet the object of my love.

Insatiate to this Spring I fly;
I drink, and yet am ever dry;
Ah! who against Thy charm is proof!
Ah! who that loves, can love enough?

-- Bernard of Clairvaux, 12th century

1 comment:

R. L. Vaughn said...

Bro. Jim, I receive their monthly mailer which is a booklet of a sermon by Spurgeon. That quote was an excerpt from this month's sermon/booklet.