Translate

Thursday, October 26, 2006

My Shepherd

Psalm 23:1 "The Lord is my Shepherd..."

The word "Lord" here is "Jehovah" or "Yahweh". THE Lord is one Lord, creator of heaven and earth (Deut. 6:4; Nehemiah 9:6; Psalms 100:3). If we call Him the LORD and Master, we should do the things He says (Luke 6:46; John 13:13).

The Lord IS. In the beginning GOD IS, without explanation. What is Your name, asks Moses: "I AM THAT I AM." (Genesis 1:1; Exodus 3:14) From everlasting to everlasting the Lord, He IS God.


The Lord is a SHEPHERD -- "He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young." (Isaiah 40:11). The Lord is THE shepherd -- "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep" (John 10:11). But may we be blessed to sweetly view with David that the Lord is not just a shepherd and the Shepherd. He is THE Shepherd whether or not He is mine. But is the Lord MY shepherd? "I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine" (John 10:14).

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

"My Shepherd will supply my need: Jehovah is His Name;

"In pastures fresh He makes me feed, Beside the living stream." -- Isaac Watts

No comments: